Often dubbed “the heart of the school,” career services are far from the spotlight. In fact, they work behind the scenes. They are the gatekeepers, liaising with the job market to connect their talent with career opportunities. They work hard, offering vigorous trainings, hosting events, fairs and workshops to prepare their students to lead fulfilling careers. They take pride in their work, juggle multiple projects, always with a smile and ready to offer top notch services to students with whom they forge strong bonds. They have expertise in recruitment, coaching, the labor market, international careers, the future of work, CVs, interviews, digital tools and the list goes on…
We are launching our new series School Spotlight to pay tribute to our Career Services teams from the EFMD School network and turn the spotlight on careers!
This month we feature Rennes School of Business and put the spotlight on Gael Henry, Career Success Manager. Find out about the motto he lives by, his latest career innovations, his favorite Highered feature and more! Catch up with Gael at the upcoming EFMD Career Services Conference in Vienna this November.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
– Love, serenity and health
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
4. Which living person do you most admire?
– Steven Spielberg
5. What is your greatest extravagance?
– My trip to British Colombia
6. What is your current state of mind?
7. On what occasion do you lie?
– When I surprise my daughter
8. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
– You see what I’m saying
9. Which talent would you most like to have?
-Be fluent in German again
10. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
11. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
-Being a Dad
12. Where would you most like to live?
13. What is your favorite occupation?
14. What is your most marked characteristic?
15. What do you most value in your friends?
-Make me laugh
16. Who are your favorite writers?
17. Who is your hero of fiction?
18. What is your greatest regret?
-Always forgetting my shopping bag when I get to the supermarket
19. How would you like to die?
-In my sleep
20. What is your motto?
-To infinity and beyond
1. What innovative career service have you recently developed for your talent?
•Student support every day:
-Support everyday (Aloha subsidiary) bilingual interlocutor
– Individual coaching sessions
– Collective internship coaching session (find your internship)
– FAQ Highered tips
•Better understanding of student needs
•More connection with companies
•More opportunities in France for non-French speaking students
•More communication about career services
•More information about the French & European market (regulation, codes…)
•Clear communication about what we do/what we don’t do
•Strengthen the “Career Passport”: prepare their professional project with meaningful resources and milestones (blocks, skills, assessment)
Corporate relations (contributing to the placement):
•CCWB network (for internship) > 3000 companies (including almost 700 in Brittany)
•Opportunities to meet / contact companies:
•Corporate Days & recruitment forums
•After Works & Round tables
•Career platforms database & online events (HigherEd)
•Access to Rennes SB recruiters’ database
2. Many of the career teams from the EFMD school network are struggling with student engagement. Name one way you engage your students.
•Big subject…a few examples: Creating connections with students through collaboration and sharing. Giving value to the skills and knowledge acquired through the recognition of commitment and the validation of skills. Promoting the school/business partnership.
3. What is your favorite Highered feature that you share with your talent?
•Job offers, Virtual events and Resources.